The Quarterly Review (1824–1900)

This Tory review was originally founded by John Murray, George Canning, and Sir Walter Scott in response to the Whig Edinburgh Review. It was first edited by William Gifford (1809–1824) and, by March of 1826, by Sir Walter Scott’s son-in-law, John Gibson Lockhart (March 1826–June 1853), who was known for his earlier writings in Blackwood‘s (from 1817) and would become more still for his biography of Scott (1837–38, 7 vols., 10 vols. in the 1839 second edition). (In 1896, Lang would write a sympathetic biography of John Gibson Lockhart, The Life and Letters of John Gibson Lockhart [Nimmo]. See vol. 1, vol. 2.)

Lang contributed to the Quarterly Review when it was under the editorship of William Smith (April 1867–July 1893) and Rowland E. Prothero (April 1894–January 1899, April 1899–October 1900).

Lang’s contributions to the Quarterly Review included the following articles:

  • “George Sand.” The Quarterly Review 143 (April 1877): 423–49. .
  • “Homer and Recent Discoveries.” The Quarterly Review 175 (Oct. 1892): 372–93.
  • “Jeanne d’Arc.” The Quarterly Review 180 (April 1895): 461–87.
  • “The Evil Eye.” The Quarterly Review 182 (July 1895): 204–19.
  • “Shakespeare and Bacon.” The Quarterly Review 188 (July 1898): 312–38.


The Quarterly Review, 1824–1900.” The Wellesley Index. 

This page was added on August 21, 2019.